Friday, October 17, 2008

More Celebrations... And A Run In With A Dumb Elk!

Last Sunday my mom threw a birthday party for my youngest sister Rondee, who just turned eighteen, and me. We also had a baby shower for my new niece Makiah, who is now home and healthy and happy! The whole family was there and it was a packed house! So many of my relatives were there and I can't remember the last time we had everyone together like that!

It was really cool to share a party with Rondee! I can't believe she is 18!!! It is so cliche but it feels like only yesterday when she was born! I was there when she was born. My mom went in for an appointment and things weren't right so they ran her in for an emergancy c-section while my little sisters and I sat in a room and waited. When she was about seven months old, I remember taking care of her at the University Of Utah Campus while my mom took some summer classes. Can you imagine a twelve year old strolling around a college campus with an infant?! I had a blast! She was such a fun baby! So full of life and she had everybody wrapped around her finger from the very beginning! It has been a pleasure watching her grow up! That is girl is amazing at everything she does! She shines and I am blessed that she is my sister!
My mom and Rondee gave me thirty gifts for my thirty years of being me! I had fun opening all of those presents!










I think I am the only one enjoying this! I know May is not! Anyway...you get the point! Lots of gifts!



One of THE best gifts of the night is this afghan that my grandma Powell made for me. Awhile back I was at her house and she had stacks of these knitted squares. She was telling me how ugly they were and that she made them from all of her scraps and didn't know what to do with them. I quickly corrected her and told her that anything that she produced with her hands was not ugly and I told her that I would kill for an afghan that had so much personality! So she put it together and gave it to me!!! There is just something so loving and comforting about anything made by a grandma! That afghan will be proudly draped on my couch and used every morning while I snooze on the couch as the babies watch cartoons!




This picture of May may cracks me up! It doesn't really even look like her!


Aunt Sue and baby Makiah



Grandpa and Grandma Powell and Makiah




Ash loves her grandma!

Grandma DeeLoris and Hallie DeeLoris!

.....

On the way home that night a big stinky elk ran into me! I saw an elk on the side of the road so I started to slow down when out of nowhere another elk came at me from my left. It's head and neck crashed into my headlight and I saw plastic and fur fly everywhere! Then its body twisted and it's torso crashed into my door! On impact the stench of elk filled the air! I got my car to a complete stop to look at the damage but couldn't open my door! I wasn't scared or upset I was just PISSED that that stupid thing would have the nerve to run into me! I went to the back and checked on Madse and Hallie, who were with me. The other kids went with Michael earlier thank goodness. Madse and Hallie slept through the whole ordeal! Can you say guardian angels!? I am really blessed that it wasn't any worse and that I was able to get home in one piece although there was a significant breeze coming from my door the whole way home! I am glad that I drive a gas guzzling SUV. I would not like to see what the results of that run in would be if I were driving anything else! I went in to the doctor the next day because I was having killer headaches, back and neck pain, light headedness and my eyes weren't focusing. I guess I got some whiplash and all around butt kicking from that dang elk. Thank goodness for pain meds and muscle relaxants and a husband who lets me sleep all day! As for that elk, let's just say that it is elk season and I hope some hunter gets that meat that got tenderized by my car!

*pictures don't do justice to the damamge that was actually done!*

8 comments:

-Rachel said...

Oh So that's how you fought with an elk...I was wondering. I'm glad everyone made it through alright. As unfortunate as this accident was, you are really very fortunate that it wasn't worse.
I hope you're feeling better!

Robin Conner said...

How cool is that to get 30 presents for your birthday! It makes turning 30 not so bad!!! :) I loved loved loved the afghan your grandma made, it looks so awesome! I'd love that too! As for the Elk, I'm so glad you wern't hurt. I hit an elk with a little toyota corolla when I lived in Vernal 10 years ago, I hit it's legs with the front of the car and it basically sat down on the hood of my car completely smashing it in. Those suckers are huge!!!! I'm glad your car still functions and your neck is hopefully okay! Have a good Sunday! :)

M Occasionally B said...

I love that afghan! Very cool!...P.S. sorry bout your car.

Kandice said...

Aww, happy birthday to all!! It looks like quite the party. I am so sorry about the elk...stupid animals-I had a run in with a deer a while back, Yuck
My husband said he saw you at our church...I am SO sad we didn't get to meet in person. Someday...someday...lol. Have a great day. TTYL!

Mandy said...

you know the cute brown sweater you got? i tried that on at maurices and LOVED IT!!! but my grandma said it looked bad on me. I was so sad. :( its SO cute and SOOOOO you!!

bullfrogranch said...

What a strong woman you are. I would have totally been crying if I had hit an elk. You were definitely being watched over by guardian angels. I think that those angels in heaven are busy working overtime to help us moms to raise our little ones and keep them in one piece.

MnM McQuivey's said...

What a fun night...until the elk. Hope you can get back on your feet soon!

Vanessa said...

Happy Birthday!!!! You scored on the gifts! And what nerve is right! I am glad that you and your kido's are alright! Sucks about the car.