Thursday, August 21, 2008

Steamboat Bound...Avett Bound!





I have this band that I am completely obsessed with. They are not too well known(yet) but they do it for me! If my soul could sing, it would sound like The Avett Brothers. They play with such passion and intensity that it creates this bond between them and their listener. I can't place them in a genre cause their sound is so unique! I would say that it is folk/punk/grunge/total eargasm!!! If that weren't enoough, they have these killer beards that I am so in lust with! I have never seen men who can grow facial hair like Mike but theses guys might be some serious competition for the fastest beard growing! I saw them for the first time last year in Aspen with my sister and I was addicted to seeing them live! You can't help but get up and move when you hear them play!

When I heard they were playing in Steamboat Springs, I immediately bought my ticket! I was a little anxious about going alone. I really haven't been ALONE alone for a long time but I didn't want to ask someone to go that wouldn't appreciate the band and I didn't want ask someone to spend all that money on a ticket and a babysitter and my husband isn't that interested in them. Lucky for me he watched the kids though. Mike really doesn't get my fascination with live music. He thinks concerts are for teenagers but he doesn't mind me going. I like to think of it as one of the only outs I allow myself and it really only happens once a year. Their show did not disappoint! I was a half an hour late though because I stopped in Craig to say goodbye to Elder Baker before he goes home next week. At first I was a little sheepish about being all by myself but everyone around me was too mesmerized to even notice. So I gave myself permission to sing and dance and scream my guts out! I think the body releases endorphins or something when you enjoy music like that. They should do a scientific study to determine why concerts FEEL so good! The audience was different this time. There was the typical greasy, hairy, river rat looking kids in the front but a lot of the people were in there fifties and older. I found out later that there is a summer community there and a lot of these older, rich, yuppy, people live there and the festival last all summer featuring different bands. So a lot of them had never heard of The Avett Brothers before. The concert ended at 9:00 p.m. which makes me think that the concert was geared towards those older people. They had NO idea what they were getting themselves into! I found a bench and just people watched because I didn't feel like getting back in the car and driving for another three hours. So as I was sitting at this bench and The Avett Brothers sat at the bench right next to me and autographed merchandise! It was interesting to watch people react to them. I don't think I ever want to be famous and have people act all funny around me. I think it would get tiring. I took a few pictures for people who wanted pictures with the band and these nice older women came up to me and asked me if I was with the band! I wish! We started talking and they were impressed that I traveled that far to see The Brothers and their jaws hit the floor when I told them that I had five kids! One of the women even offered me her guest bedroom when I mentioned that I was driving home that night. I am pretty sure her generosity was due to the alcohol in her system but it was a sweet gesture! While we were chatting, the crowd died down and the band started toward their bus but they stopped by our little group and took pictures with us and signed the ladies tickets and they signed a CD for me! The lead singer, Scott, stuck around and visited with these ladies and me. I was so impressed that he was so personable and genuine and he seemed like he was genuinely interested in us. We talked for a good half hour about kids, our hometowns, learning how to play different instruments, we even talked about foxes and coyotes and hunting them! So random! The ladies joked that since I had so many kids that they should just take me to Salt Lake with them and Scott said "She can't go to Salt Lake with us! She has FIVE kids! We would have to get a whole nother bus just to get them all there!" What are the chances of getting to spend some almost one on one time with members of your most favorite band?!

4 comments:

amber said...

I think you have got to be one of the funnest people ever! I would never go somewhere like that by myself!! I'm glad you even got to meet the band!
I asked you to email me in my last post but then realized that I had my junk filter set too high and it was deleting unknown addresses automatically-so email me again (i'm just assuming that you had!) ambnjeff@msn.com

Steve Wiscombe said...

Your are right about concerts and endorphins--either that or what my friends tell me about getting a buzz off of second hand pipe smoke isn't true! Good to here from you. On the flip side of what you said, there are days I which I had five kids to look after. Transience has its own price. Anyhow--I'm sure someday I'll have a truck-load of cute tikes like you.

ryannsharidamontague said...

Ramanda! Long time no talk! How are you guys! I miss you alot! Thanks for the message. Things are going alot better now that we have the oxygen off and he is eating well and just getting big. I never thought that I would have a preemie, but I so blessed that he is here.

christine said...

that sounded so fun, i was jealous when i heard you were going to a concert. there's just something about being there and the energy of it all. they're so much fun! glad you had a good time.