Sunday, August 10, 2008

The New Miss Uintah County

Congratulations Rondee!!!



Not only was she crowned Miss Uintah County but she was also voted


MISS CONGENIALITY like her big sister!




Her Talent was a tribal lyrical and she was ELECTRIC!!



Evening Gown


In 1998, I competed in the Miss Uintah County Pageant. I didn't expect to win and I didn't but I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of being feminine and beautiful. I wasn't the pageant type. I was boyish, athletic and definitely anti-make up or anything girly for that matter! The experience, for me, was life changing and I was surprised that the girls that I competed with voted me as Miss Congeniality. I think it is pretty dang cool that ten years later my baby sister proved to herself that her beauty comes from the inside which is so much more important than the beauty on the outside (though that does help!)

Not too impressed with this photo but what can you do, it was the 90's!

RAZZLE DAZZLE!!!



Rondee called me up and asked me to come early to help her prepare for her pageant. I showed up Wednesday and was put to work! I really loved being in the background supporting my sister! I just had no idea that I was going to have so much to do! Wednesday night we painted the stage floor at the high school. That night we thought it would be fun to sleep outside on the trampoline and oh was it! I felt like I was in Jr High again! We giggled and ate candy and stayed up way too late. In the morning we woke to the neighbors across the fence looking at us like we were loony! Rondee had gotten a spray on tan and everywhere our bodies touched I was left with unnaturally brown patches. On closer inspection we found that my index finger was brown and we both looked at each other wondering where that finger had been! That day we ran errands, I did research on the internet for the interview and I quizzed her on her platform. We went back to the high school and helped decorate and clean up. That afternoon it started to rain and then pour and then it started to flood! My first thought was "OH CRAP!! The blankets out on the tramp!" I felt pretty bad to find out that they had all blown across the lawn getting muddy and drenched!
In the evening was dress rehearsal and I was enlisted to duct tape boobs! A little FYI: You duct tape the boobs and then put in padding so that things are boosted in the swimming suits and evening wear. MFYI: You also use spray adhesive on the heiny so that there are no wedgies while you are prancing around on stage in your swimming suit. There was something so special about helping Rondee backstage with her outfit changes and keeping her things semi organized, keeping her confidence boosted and encouraging her! It feels so good to nurture and support! There were a lot of last minute alterations to be done to her dance costume and evening gown and I barely made it to walmart before midnight for matching thread and needles. The skirt to her costume was too long and had too much fabric so I had to shorten it and thin it out. It felt like something out of Project Runway with the clock ticking and the stress level high and I didn't have any supplies! In a panic I called my friend Mandy and she totally saved my heiny by letting me borrow her rotary cutter, mat, and rulers! Friends like this are so rare and really appreciated! I haven't talked to her in ages and I call her out of the blue not to chat or go to lunch like a real friend would but to bug her for a favor! What a pal!!! I was terrified to cut into this skirt! One wrong cut and Rondee wouldn't have a costume and time was wearing thin! I prayed my guts out the entire time that I wouldn't screw it up and I suffered a huge anxiety attack over it but it really turned out perfect! I hand stitched the skirt to the beaded scarf and then to a pair of gold shorts underneath. I also hand stitched the sleeves of her evening gown. I got done with only minutes to spare!
Rondee shined the entire evening! She has this passion and energy when she is on stage! I was in awe at her confidence and grace! I was so proud of her and when she was announced both Miss Congeniality and Miss Uintah County there was no one in that room prouder than me! Now she goes on to Miss Utah and I hope she lets me tag along!




Some much needed down time to relieve all of the stress of the week!





Rondee is THE best cuddler in the whole world even if she rubs off on me!


We were totally free boobin' it ha ha! Sorry Neighbors!



I love this girl like life!

My bestest friend (besides Michael of course!) Jeff turned nineteen last month and is leaving for two years for an LDS mission in Mexico. His twin sister Megan, our friend Kyle, Jeff and I went to dinner for his and Megan's late birthday celabration. Jeff has been my neighbor/friend/errand runner/food disposal for more than nine years. I have watched him grow up and have given him more than his share of advice and lectures! He has grown into a kind, generous and good young man and I love his stinkin' guts and I know that he will be one amazing missionary but MAN, I am REALLY going to miss him!

4 comments:

The Page Family said...

That was the best read ever!! You are an incredible sister!! You are still a hottie!! I too would vote you to be miss congeniality!! You have the best personality ever!! I loved all the fun pictures!! :)

M Occasionally B said...

that's so exciting for your sister! And Congeniality must just run in the fam! what a fun memory for the two of you to have! Tell her that her picture will hang in that hall at the fairgrounds forever so pick a hairstyle and outfit that will weather the years...ha ha! Wish I had. :)

amber said...

That's awesome!! I love your brown splotchies!
I tried to email you but it wouldn't work. I'm trying to remember a coupon website you told me about a LONG time ago. Email me when you get a chance!!
ambnjeff@msn.com

Vanessa said...

Ok I found you though Debra's Blog and to my surprise there is this way cute picture of you and me! That was so long ago! It is seriously cracking me up!!! The hair, the makeup, Oh MY! Congrats to you sister!!!! That is awesome! Anyway, I would to hear from you! Looks like you are doing great!