Monday, August 4, 2008

LONELY...OH SO LONELY

My big kids left me last Friday to spend some quality time with their grandma in Utah (I am pretty sure it is called "GETTING SPOILED"!)! I missed them the second they drove away! I didn't expect it to be so bad! I was totally looking forward to a little breather, a vaycay, some ME time but I have been in AGONY! I just don't know what to do with myself! I have realized how much they do for me and all of the things I have desperately missed about them since they have been gone even the stuff that I usually get a little frustrated by!
Fetching diapers
snuggle time with my Mikie
throwing away diapers
sweeping
vacuuming
giving me lots of kisses
playing with my hair
Ash's deep conversations
glass jars filled with grass and an assortment of bugs
playing with the babies
running up to the upstairs bathroom to bring me a roll of toilet paper
craft supplies strewn about the dining room table and floor
cleaning off the kitchen table
getting me the remote
the specks of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror
finding my cell phone (I don't mind shelling out a quarter)
help set the table
clearing the table
fighting over who gets to say prayers
hearing the latest little girl gossip
Littlest Petshops scattered throughout the house
Madse sneaking into bed with me in the wee hours in the morning
hearing uncontrollable giggling after I have warned them to go to bed... or else
etc. etc. etc...
They get back tomorrow and that just isn't soon enough! I have no life beyond my family and I am happy with that! Life without 'em just isn't as fun! I am going to be a wreck when they grow up and move out!!! Seriously...I literally get anxiety over the fact that my children are growing too quickly! I blink my eyes and they are smarter, more independent, bigger. It breaks my heart that one day they will fill their time with friends, hobbies, sports and the time they spend with me will be less and less and that their soft little new skin will change, there won't be little chubby naked bums running around after a bath, they will be too big to fit in my lap, they won't want to be sung to at night, no little ones under my feet, no little shadows, and that they will need me less. It's all just too fleeting!!
Marjorie Pay Hinkley brings me some comfort and puts things into perspective for me when she said,
"I couldn't possibly have understood this when I was young like I do now. When we look back on decades of life we see that the seemingly insignificant things we do over and over actually weave the pattern of our lives. And if those small and simple things are good, we will end up having lived a fulfilling life -- and that is a great thing!"
"We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is that we know when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our level best, we experience a peace."
AND...
"Life is more than I ever imagined it would be."
I just hope that I can cram my brain full of the memories of my little ones and that those memories will always be with me even when they are not so little anymore.

5 comments:

Kandice said...

I so so so hear you. Sometimes I can't wait for a break. Then I get away, and am sick with worry and longing for the little munchkins. Then I return home with them, and I quickly remember why I needed a break...What a vicious cycle.

christine said...

i love that quote. i know what you mean! i find myself getting teary-eyed at just random times when i think about life after the kids grow older and don't need me anymore. sometimes i wish i could just freeze time! this is such a great time in a mother's life. i'm sure your kids miss you, too!

AmyJo said...

Amen to that! You are such a good and cute mom :)

Mark Nash said...

I am happy to inform you that as much as you love your kiddies now, you will enjoy them as they grow and become even more interesting! It is Such A Great Journey! Hang on and enjoy the ride.

P.S. I had a great time 'well-loving' them!!

Mark Nash said...

P.P.S. 'mark w' is really Betta.