Michael is on a four days on and four days off schedule and he woke up Thursday morning and decided that we should go camping. What a spontaneous guy! This is the first time we have camped with all five kids. We usually take two vehicles and I would go home with the two babies at bed time and Mike would stay and camp with the older kids. I might sound like a pansy for going home but I am really not, I promise! Mike likes to rough it and keep things very simple, no planning, as little preparation as possible. We don't own a tent, we don't own sleeping bags, we don't even have a camp stove, and if you think we go to your run of the mill campground with portapotties and fire pits, you're mistaken! We go on these barely drivable roads and bounce around for hours until we find a remote spot by some unknown lake or creek so he can fish and you have to squat in the woods and bury it. See I told ya! I plan easy meals like hot dogs, cut up fruits and veggies, and chips or whatever I have in the pantry. Cold cereal in a cup for breakfast, easy stuff like that. Mike packs everything else up including almost every blanket that we own and we just go!
This time we went to Uranium Peak above Meeker. It's 9,000+ feet in elevation and there was still snow on the ground in places! It was getting dark so we settled for some flat looking spot and set up camp. The kids love looking for kindling! This time, since it was still pretty cold mike lashed together a makeshift tent out of tarp and all of us slept in a blanket bed with Michael and I on each end so that no babies rolled out in the middle of the night.The batteries in my camera died so I have no pictures of the next day. We had a blast! The next day the kids made a hut and Mike and I napped and we got stuck in a big pile of snow that didn't look that big. Luckily for us some nice people with four wheelers pulled us out after Mike had spent a half hour digging with a little irrigation shovel.
There is something exhilarating about waking up with the sun when you are camping. Getting out of your warm bad and getting a fire started. I love it! I love the isolation, feeling like you are the only people alive on earth. I like being all together as a family with no interruptions or distractions! Now that the babies are getting older I think we will be camping a lot more often!
Enjoying SCARY stories by the fire!
Fishies from the ground taste just as good!
8 comments:
You're such a good wife and mom!!! I would never go camping without a tent and some sort of blow-up mattress!!
Your babies are getting soo big. Last time I saw them they were still babes in arms. :)
I realy liked that. But I didnt like when we got stuck! Thanks to those four weelers
Wow! I am impressed at your mad camping skills. I would never be able to just up and go like that...not to mention I am pathetic and needs lots of clothes, blankets, good food etc to have fun.
Sounds like you had a blast! How fun to be so spontaneous!
I am impressed! We rarely make time to go camping and such. But after this post, maybe we should....
That is totally awesome, I am so glad that you guys have such a good time together...that camping is the best, except I do have to have a tent...at least that! I love it, I am so happy that I made a blogspot too, for this reason...you cutie pie, looks like you guys had fun! *mwah* :O*
Post a Comment