I was going about my Saturday cleaning and supervising the kids' chores when there was a knock at the door. Like always the kids got to the door before me and there was a friendly girl that called me "Sis. Nash" I assumed that she was someone new in the ward and I let my guard down. That is when she and the guy she was with asked if they could come in and show me a short presentation about the Living Scriptures. I have a lot of them on video that my grandma had given me and I told them that. We watched them as kids but I didn't know that my parents went into debt for them. They were really good salesmen and used names of other people in our ward as references of people that enjoy LS in their family home evenings. I was totally taken in! By the end of their presentation they had me signed up for more videos than I had intended to buy and bonuses that I really didn't want. I kept telling them that I would have to discuss this with my husband before I signed anything and she assured me that I could sign the contract now and I could discuss it with my husband later. The whole time I had "that feeling" and I just kept ignoring it. I even ignored it when she told me that I would be paying close to $2,000 in the next four years! TWO GRAND!!!??? Who has that kind of money to throw away on videos? I know I don't but I felt pressured into signing that contract anyway even though there was that heaviness in my heart and that thought in my head that told me I shouldn't. The guilt of turning down two young LDS kids who were saving for college no was just stronger I guess. Ugghh! I am such a push over! Don't get me wrong, when those trashy looking guys come around with dusters or frozen meat from a freezer tied to the back of the truck come to the door I just don't answer or I flat out tell them no but when someone calls me Sis. Nash I have a hard time saying no. Maybe those duster guys should call people Bro. and Sis. to get a sale. So I signed the stupid contract and immediately called Mike and let him know that I had done something REALLY stupid. He told me to fill out the cancellation papers that minute. He said that when he worked at Wellsfargo that they had so many people whose credit was ruined because of Living Scriptures. I decided to do a little research online and everything I read was so negative. Their marketing practices are sneaky. I decided that I should call the lady that the salesman had referenced in the presentation and she has no idea that they were using her name and she gave them no references. So far everyone I have talk to said that they didn't give them any references, so how did they know where I lived and how did they know that I was LDS? It seems a little fishy to me. So even though I mailed in the cancellation form I am feeling pretty stupid for giving into pressured sales tactics. I feel that they take advantage of our religion for a sale and they go against everything we are taught about living within our means and staying out of unnecessary debt. I am glad that I am not obligated to pay all of that money and hopefully I can get a hold of people in the ward so they can avoid the situation I got myself into.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?submit22=Search+Latest+3+Months+of+Rip-Off+Reports+Now%21&q1=ALL&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=Living+Scriptures&q6=&q7=&searchtype=0
6 comments:
I want the collection of LS too!!! But I buy them at Yard Sales. People are usually selling them for about $1 a piece. I have almost been sucked in a few times...but Jeff is always right there with me(cuz we are usually at the mall) and we know we can't afford it.
thanks for the info.... I have heard of people getting sucked in. Thank goodness for suckers like you that protect possible suckers like me!!
my mother in law got roped into it at the mall of all places. She is very gullible and she signed up. well, now we have a great big box of living scriptures that didn't cost us a dime. They have called though occasionally, and I just say, no...maybe throw in a swear word and then they will realize you aren't a good bro. or sis. lol.
This totally sucks that these people are manipulating you with the love of your our faith! How EVIL is that? Sorry you had to go through this angst, but your story will help others out there not feel guilty for turning down these sharks. Ugh.
Post a Comment