"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." — Marjorie Pay Hinckley
Sunday, October 21, 2007
So...About Those Callings...
Are you ready for this!? I know that I wasn't! One of my callings is with Michael. We are on the ward's activities committee. I can do activities. I like organizing gatherings. I am just glad that I am part of a committee and not in charge of everything. The only thing about being the organizer of the good times is that you are usually preoccupied with everything running smoothly that you don't really get to enjoy the party. It should be fun though. Now for the unexpected calling...NURSERY!!!! I know what you are thinking! "Well Ramanda has kids in there anyway so it isn't a big deal." Nursery is one of those less favored calling and seems more well suited for those who are wanting to practice their grandparenting skills. People apostatize because of this calling! I still really don't know what to think about it. I guess it is a step up from spending much of church sitting in the mother's room nursing babies. I wasn't actually there when they announced my new callings in church. I was frantically getting all five children, who have very short attention spans, into the truck and to church. Let me take a minute to be semi pleased with myself. Since Michael has been working an insane amount of hours at work (eighteen to twenty or more hours a day) and having to work Sundays, the job of getting us all to church rests fully on my shoulders and I am usually on time for the most part. I have gotten a glimpse of what every single mother or woman with a husband that isn't interested in coming to church feels like. It is humbling and very hard to have people in the ward help me. Today was the primary program. I forgot to pack a bottle for Hal so I left May and Madse with a family I was sitting next to and sat in the mother's room where I heard Mikie and Ashley say their parts. I was a bit dissapointed that I wasn't in there for moral support but they sounded great and oh so precious! Madse's underwear did a disappearing act. We finally found them around his knees during the last block of church. I sang a duet in Relief society and after I sat down, May was walking back to me and tripped and fell into the wooden chair and sliced her eyebrow open. There was a substantial amount of blood and a huge collective gasp from every lady in the room. I got it all cleaned up and bandaged and she seems to be fine. Anyway...back to the nursery thing. I think this is a test of faith thing. I am reassured by the scripture that goes something like "whom the Lord calls, He qualifies..." I am interested to see what I learn from this calling. All thoughts of apostasy are being suppressed for the moment. We will see how I feel after a few weeks with the little rugrats! On the bright side, there is snack time. They don't have that in Relief society!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Make sure you send some good ideas and suggestions my way!!! I could use all the help I can get!
Oh mannn I love nursery. I'm not called to it, but I hang out in there once in a while. Sometimes because I think it will be fun, sometimes because I'm honestly concerned for the "grandparents" losing it because the kids are banging their plates on the table. I do think they need to rotate that calling more often than they do. To stop the apostacy. Good luck, you will love it!
Congrats on one of the greatest callings in the world!
I am the Sunbeams Teacher and had the same panic take over me when I got the calling. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, although I will admit, sometimes, I hate it. I have to remind myself that these are Heavenly Father's children and he called upon ME to teach them. He trusts me and I will do my best. I have to work really hard to feel the spirit every Sunday, but I usually do! My advice... just love them!
Also, go to www.sugardoodle.net for GREAT ideas and lesson helps!
Love ya!
I ran across your blog and it made me giggle. I was called to Nursery several years ago and had the same thoughts of apostacy, but it ended up being one of my most favorite callings ... ever!
I loved the fishy cracker/fruit loop mixture. I loved sitting on a quilt on the floor. And I really loved those kids.
When I was finished with my time served in Nursery, the sister I served with was called to be the R.S. President and I was her Secretary. We both left crying!
Try to treasure it. It really is great.
Post a Comment