"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." — Marjorie Pay Hinckley
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Thoughts On Loss
Yesterday I attended a funeral of a friend from high school. He is the oldest brother of my cousin Justin's wife Nichole and I was in band with him and his sister Allisha. He died in a car accident on his way home from working in North Dakota. He left behind a wife and four small children, not to mention his seven siblings, his parents, extended family, and friends. I rarely take the time to slow down enough to think of the influence and effect one person has on so many until something tragic like this happens. It is like a slap in the face that says, "Wake up! This life is precious! What you do with it and how you treat others will have lasting consequences, whether for good or ill." As I sat through his service, it dawned on me that on that saturday, eleven years ago, my family buried our brother, son and friend and the service hit home a lot more and the anguish and devastation that Dustin's family felt, felt so familiar to my aching heart. I knew the pain they were suffering. I would like to say that it gets easier as the years go by, and in some ways it does, but there will always be a hole and a deep longing to hear their voice, their infectious laugh, see their smile, feel their loving embrace. You forget those things, unfortunately. When I die, whether it be tomorrow or when I am ninety, what will be the legacy that I leave behind? How will my children talk about me? What will I be remembered for? Will the memories be painful and negative or wonderful? Will I have touched lives for good? I am thankful for loss, for death of those we cherish most because it motivates me to the core to be a kinder person, to appreciate the life I have more fully, to not take anything or anyone in my life for granted. To witness a wife who is beyond the point of grief, having to be held up by her mother and sister after saying goodbye to her husband one last time and the realization and finalization of his long absence in this life, will stay with me for a long time. I will be holding my husband a little tighter and kissing him a little bit more passionately for a good while to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My Sweet friend Ramanda, You are an amazing woman and friend. You are so kind and so thoughtful to everyone you come in contact with. I love you for the friend and example that you are to me. Your efforts as a mother are not going by unnoticed. This life is indeed a precious gift. Thanks for being a part of my life! Jen
Oh, I had to check the Vernal Express to see if I knew Dustin. Needless to say, my heart goes out to Ashley and their loved ones.
How tragic, just as it was 11 years ago when your brother was killed.
Ramanda, you've blessed so many lives and there's many out there who love you tons!
I had to coach soccer that morning, so I wasn't able to come to Grand Junction for the funeral, but they did a small service at the graveside in Vernal too. It was so sad! I worked with Dustin and he is one of those people who is just genuinely nice to EVERYONE. Poor Ashley. I felt so bad for her. When I gave her a hug it just lasted forever. Neither one of us wanted to let go. Thank GOD for the knowledge of eternal families we have. I would really hate to experience the feeling of total loss that would come with not having that knowledge!
Post a Comment