Monday, January 11, 2010

Beautify

I have never been much of a decorator. I just don't have a knack for making things look aesthetically pleasing or the creativity. Being cheap does not help my situation either. I just can't ever justify spending money on paint or decor for my home. To make things worse, I look at my friends' blogs and all of their homes are decorated so beautifully (especially my Utah friends. There must be an unspoken law that says that you have to have a fabulously decorated house to live in Utah.) and then I start feeling sorry for myself. Well no more pity party for me, my friends! I am ready to unlock my inner/nonexistent decorator and start beautifying my drab dwelling. Now here is where the big BUT comes in! Where do I even begin?! Should I start with the living room where it will be appreciated and ooh at or should I start small like a bathroom or a closet or something small where I can make mistakes? I do know for sure that I want to do this project! I just have to find an old french door. It is right up my alley with the fabric panels though. So this is where you, my faithful readers come in (all two of you!) I need your prettifying expertise. Any and all advice on the ins and outs of decorating would make my day! I want to know what has worked for my friends and any volunteering of actual labor would make you my new best friend!

7 comments:

Sally said...

Oh how I wish I still lived just across the way. I would be over in a heartbeat! Not that I have any expertise to offer, but I love to try. And I think you are underestimating yourself.....in fact I saw a picture on your blog many months ago that showed this darling decoration/arrangment thing in the background and I referred to it many times as I attempted to copy it. So I can't wait to see what you do!

M Occasionally B said...

I say start where you will feel the least overwhelmed. And just remember good preperation is 90% of the work. I can't wait to see how the door project turns out. Make sure to post pics on your blog! good luck!

Debra said...

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I see things, but trying to duplicate them and do it without spending a fortune is impossible. I just recruited my sis-in law to come up and help out this week. I'm hoping to make my house finally look like we live there. Good luck!

Gill said...

My vote is to start small too! You don't want to overwhelm yourself and then get discouraged about doing another room! And paint is a simple way to give any room a nice change. Post pics when your finished! I love projects!

Wonderland Girl said...

Well, you have at least 5 faithful readers! (I know a lot more too.)

I saw that darling project too and was thinking of trying it out on a window I have. We should share our results!

BonnieandSteve said...

I have no advise to give in this area as my home is now and will forever be a complete wreck! Have fun and don't be afraid of mistakes. They will happen but I don't like to think of mistakes as a bad think I like to call mistakes "learning" I know a lot about "learning"! Ha Ha.

I can suggest that you checkout http://www.designspongeonline.com/ They have a lot of before and afters on rooms and apartments that are super fun.

Love you and best of luck you sexy gal!

Camilla said...

Ramanda, I think your house is way cute, so quit having a pity party.

I wanted to share one tip that has helped me a lot, though. I like to find one thing that I really like and use that as the inspiration for the whole decorating scheme in the room. You can use a picture or wall art, or a piece of furniture; anything will work, as long as it's got the colors you want and a style you can build around. I find it helps because it gives you something to think back on and think, will this look good in my room? Just think, will it look good with your "defining piece".

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. I hope it's useful, and if you want any help with anything, let me know! :)