Monday, December 7, 2009

Eight Is So Great!


My little Mikie is now eight! She doesn't look eight. She is just a little pip squeak! She comes home from school and tells me that the kindergartners bend down to talk to her. I think it annoys her because they think they can boss her around since she is smaller than them but she doesn't stand for it, oh no she doesn't! She is quite the firecracker and has an enormous amount of attiTUDE! She has always been a tiny little thing. Eight years with Mikie has produced some pretty special memories and since I am without a camera (well that is not exactly true. I do have a camera that my darling little friend, Brinley lent me. She is twelve and heard that I wouldn't have a camera for Mikie's baptism so she just gave me hers to borrow. What twelve year old does that?! So thoughtful, that is what she is! I have photos but need to get them to the kiosk and develop them.) I am going to share some of my most favorite memories and photos of my Mikie.




During delivery, Mikie was coming so quickly that the doctor only had time toss his tie over his shoulder, kneel down, and catch her. The cord pressed down over her head and around her neck and then squeezing her little body, bruising her entire body and popping the blood vessels in her eyes . She was a deep purple for days!






If you need a hand or an errand ran or something found, Mikie is your gal! She is so eager to help and is quite the little mother. She is very nurturing and affectionate and sensitive to the needs of those around her. Sometimes she can be a bit TOO helpful!
















Mikie lived in dress up clothes and dresses! She refused to wear pants! She is so girly and feminine. She loves make up and fashion and jewelry. She has a thing for the 80's style. Her first hairstyle she did herself was a side ponytail. When I would ask her how she wanted her hair done she would always request "Deb hair" from Napoleon Dynamite.












From birth, Mikie was Gramps' girl! When she started walking she would escape to his house. She was always content to sit on his lap and snuggle and suck her little thumb. As gramps aged he didn't have the strength to pick her up so she would just lean against him or situate herself right next to him just to be near him.













When Mikie was about a month old she got RSV and turned so blue. It was frightening. We rushed her to the ER. The RSV developed into something called reactive airway disease. So every winter for the first three years of her life she had to be quarantined and on oxygen because her oxygen levels were dangerously low. We took many trips to Primary Children's for testing and treatments. She was so fragile and gaunt from being sick all of the time. I really think she stopped growing there for awhile. She was such a little trooper though. I remember having a gigantic oxygen tank stationed in the living room with the longest tube attached so that she could go into any room in the house. She also had this humongous breathing machine in her room that we attached to her while she slept. It would sound an alarm when her oxygen levels got too low. That was such a difficult trial at the time and I am grateful that she grew out of sickness into a healthy little girl.



I am gonna take a minute to be Miss Braggy Pants, Mikie is a genius! She is participating in the gifted and talented program and is off the charts in testing and grades.



Mikie, I am blessed beyond belief to be your mother!



I love you like life!



Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Happy Birthday Mikie!!

Sally said...

I had no idea she was that old! She is so little, and sweet, and cute. Hope she had a special day!

Annalee said...

Wow! I can't believe Mikie is 8. Has it really been that long? I still think she's that little adorable girl who came to my house as her Dad's home teaching companion. Might I say, she was the cutest home teacher I ever had!