Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ten Years Down... Eternity To Go!


If you ask any woman, your tenth anniversary is supposed to be a BIG one. It usually involves a weekend away, or a nice gift, or something sentimental and romantic to celebrate the occasion. For some reason my dear husband didn't get the "Do something special for your tenth anniversary" memo. We had many discussions prior to our anniversary about our plans. We wanted to go to California or Mexico but found it difficult to schedule babysitting with our parents so we settled on a trip to Denver. We even had a friend graciously offer to take the kids for us. Well, in the mean time we took a 10% cut in pay and my husband began to freak about finances but failed to include me in his freak out session. I was oblivious to his worries and was still excitedly planning this great getaway for just the two of us. This was HUGE for me! In ten years of marriage we have never been anywhere without our kids. In all of my planning, I was still being frugal in my spending, nothing too extravagant, I got a ritzy downtown hotel room for super cheap and I was even thoughtful of Mike and got us tickets to a Rockies game. We even had money set aside for the trip. So, imagine my shock and disappointment when my dear husband said that we couldn't afford the trip. Boy, was I devastated and a little pissed, to put it mildly. I bawled him out about how we needed to nurture our relationship, how we didn't spend time together as lovers and companions and I didn't think running the dog qualified as one on one time! So in a huff, I canceled our hotel reservations and put the Rockies tickets on Stub Hub, called our friend and regretfully told her that we wouldn't be needing her help. I admit it, I was a bit dramatic but I was hurt and I wanted him to know just how hurt I was. He got the point and asked our friend, Jen to watch the kids while he took me out to dinner and a movie the night of our anniversary. Weeks went by and our Rockies tickets weren't selling, so thanks to another generous friend *cough* Tracey*cough*, we were able to go out to Denver for the night and watch a great baseball game and go to Paris On The Platte for a late dinner (WE were the misfits in a cofee house full of misfits!)before we drove home. The whole night Mike kept saying how fun it was and that we should have just went through with our original anniversary plans!! DUH!!!! Well I am just glad that he finally saw the light!




Ha ha look it's Sara Palin with Mike!


National Velvet statue on the Platte River. Interesting piece of art. I guess it is very contraverial!

In ten years of marriage there have been peaks and there have been shadows but it has been an a worthwhile journey! I wouldn't take this journey through life with anyone else!!! Looking forward to the eternities with you my friend and my loving and patient companion!

2 comments:

The Page Family said...

Your post is sad, yet very sweet, if only the men in our lives would listen to us the first time!! I'm glad you got to get away togeter! And just you know we would love to take the kids anytime also!

Slaugh Family said...

That is so cool and I am glad you go to go out together and have anice time any how and to bad it was so tough for Mike to get the hint.