Ten years ago on a Sunday morning in September, Michael woke up with a hangover and he said something that he had said hundreds of times before, "I am never going to do this again!" but this time he really meant it. I really don't know too much about those years when he was an alcoholic but I have heard a few stories. They were not good years for Michael. That summer he decided to start going to church and pay tithing. Two weeks later, he met me! He tells me that he thinks that the Lord was just waiting for him to get his stuff together before He could send him a good woman. People have always thought that is was because of me that Mike straightened up but when we met he was on fire spiritually and I had no idea that he had an alcohol problem. Looking back at it all, I was really quite naive to marry a recovering alcoholic but I know that the Lord had a hand in the whole thing and I really think that he blinded me to Michael's past because he knew Michael's potential and that he would turn out to be an amazing husband, father, and man. Over the years I have watched Michael help others with their addictions. They would tell me, "If Michael Nash can do it then I can too." He is compassionate and people can relate to him because of his experience with addiction. He still struggles with it. He avoids the cooler isles in the grocery stores and convenient stores and we don't sit by the bar in restaurants. Michael's strength amazes me! I am sure that it might shock people to know all of this about him and he isn't proud of it but it has definitely made him the man he is today and I love him that much more for it.
So every year around this time, we celebrate the anniversary of his sobriety. Nothing special just a quiet celebration. Here's to ten years, Michael! I am so very proud of you!
6 comments:
YAY!!! I will celebrate with you!!!!
way to go mike and way to go nash family, you truly are the best...
Wow, Amazing I am so proud of you Mike and it's a great thing that he has you ramanda and the beautiful family that you have. Love ya and you are so welcome for the update, and I know GIRLS!!! I hope that we were never that BAD!!!! do you think?
Struggles can make a great person. And...I think it is good to have a bit of a naughty past, then your kids can't get away with stuff if you have already been there. WHOOHOO!
You are my Hero!!! Thanks for the encouragement. It gives me hope for the battles I face!
Tell him congrats, and congrats to you too. Having an addict in my fam, I know it is a work in progress for both.
Post a Comment